Monday, August 6, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Pages 13-24

Daisy Buchanan
Pages thirteen through twenty-four of The Great Gatsby introduced me to an element that, no offense to author F. Scott Fitzgerald, I never expected to see in a novel written over seventy-five years ago. That element is humor. Truthfully, I expected reading this book to be an unpleasant experience, but I actually found myself laughing from time to time! Main character Nick Carraway’s witty personality got a smile out of me more than once during these chapters, and his distant relative Daisy Buchanan also was a source of amusement. Although I found the other novel this summer, Edith Wharton’s The House of Mirth, interesting, it lacked the humor that I have found so far in The Great Gatsby and became rather dull and boring at times because of it. I believe that, whether he intended it or not, Fitzgerald’s clever humor added to the popularity of his book and the legacy it has left behind. For example, in answer to a question about whether he wanted to hear about the butler’s nose while having dinner at the Buchanan’s house, Carraway sarcastically replies, “That’s the reason I came over tonight,” (Fitzgerald, 13). Also, Daisy Buchanan adds her own comedic elements to the novel through her entertaining and ridiculous exaggerations and suggestions, including the prospect of arranging a marriage between Carraway and one of her friends. I have found that the humor present in the book has sparked my interest and kept me interested, which was most likely the intention of the author. Taking place in the 1920’s, a prosperous and exciting time in American history, it is likely that humor did play a large part in the people of that decade. When money is not a problem and families are not struggling to get by every day, humor and laughter replace the stress that usually comes with poverty. By incorporating this element into his novel, not only did Fitzgerald portray the Roaring Twenties with accuracy, he also captured the reader’s attention and drew them into the setting and time period of his story.

No comments:

Post a Comment