Thursday, November 15, 2012

Frankenstein's Crazy Characterization

Mary Shelley
In Frankenstein, a novel by Mary Shelley, characterization plays a major role. The process the author uses to allow the reader to learn more about each character is quite interesting, as she consistently launches into a page and a half description about each person she introduces. When I first began reading the book, I found this strange method both interesting and quite honestly, annoying. At the mention of a new character, I immediately began to realize that I would be reading about that person for the next few paragraphs at least. However, this method has also proved to be quite effective. I have found as I continue to read that I can still recognize and differentiate characters introduced chapters ago when their names once again pop up. Although Shelley’s method is tedious, it seems as though it works to help the reader recognize each character. By explaining their whole life story in one place rather than leaking certain pieces of information throughout the entirety of the novel, Shelley enables her readers to organize the happenings of each characters life without getting confused. For example, Victor Frankenstein’s childhood friend, Henry Clerval, is introduced after a large absence from the novel when Victor states, “Nothing could equal my delight on seeing Clerval; his presence brought back thoughts of my father, Elizabeth…” (Shelley, 37). Because of Shelley’s past detailed description, I not only recognized the name Clerval immediately and associated it with Frankenstein’s friend; I also recognized the name Elizabeth. Through her unique characterization method, Shelley effectively prevents her readers from losing touch with the novel’s various characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment